Pages

About Me

About Me

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

While You Were Out

As a middle school teacher, it can be hard keeping track of who has been absent and the assignments they missed.

My solution...

a "While You Were Out" board.



By the time students are in middle school, they need to begin to practice personal responsibility.

When they are absent from my ELA class, I have them check the class calendar to see what they missed during their absence. I place all extra papers in a pocket chart that contains 5 file folders - - 1 for each day of the week.


For example, if a student misses school on a Monday, he/she will check the calendar the day they return for any missed assignments. They also check the Monday file folder for any papers or handouts.


Above is a closer look at the calendar I use - stinkin' cute, isn't it. (Link is below for you to download for FREE!!)
I stapled all the months together, then peel off each month as it ends (as shown above).
I file the used calendar pages in my filing cabinet until the end of the school year, then toss.

I just write short notes on what we did that day in class. For example, it might say "read pgs. 1-10; vocab. study guide". Students would then know they need to read pages 1-10 and pick up a study guide from the file folder pocket for the day they missed.

This system has been so easy and keeps me sane!! I don't have papers piling up on my desk that I need to remember to pass out to absent students.

Below is the pocket chart I used that fits five file folders. I had some colored folders already so I used those, but some cute ones from the Target Dollar Spot would be awesome too.

Black


Get it here: http://amzn.to/2klispd


Check out these other colors:

Lime

http://amzn.to/2jPGyEJ

Teal


http://amzn.to/2joOnFA

Next I used a blank calendar for the school year.

Here is a the one I downloaded from TpT for FREE!!!

I'd love to hear how you manage absent students in your classroom! Share your ideas below and don't forget to follow me on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment