Pages

About Me

About Me

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The reason I wanted to set up a blog was to first have a way to make connections to teachers from all over.  Second, I want to share ideas, thoughts, and my knowledge of the teaching profession to others.  Lastly, I wanted a way to learn more too!  Together, we all work to educate the minds of the future.

Today, I want to share my ideas for exit tickets.  What are exit tickets?  Exit tickets are a type of formative assessment.  They are quick, easy, and accurate.

Here is the first style of exit tickets I want to discuss:  the "stop light".  At the end of a lesson, I will often pass out sticky notes to my students.  On the top of the note, they write their name.  Next, they demonstrate by explaining(words) or showing(pictures) their understanding of the topic.  For example, if the concept learned was fractions of a whole, the student might write an explanation of fractions of a whole in words, or show me an example of fractions of a whole.  I then call them up by groups and they decide where to place their exit ticket on the stop light.  Green = "I've Got It!"  Yellow = "Almost There"  Red = "I Still Need Help"

Now, what I love about this method of exit tickets is the self-evaluating the students have to do in placing their sticky note on the stop light.  They have to decide how they feel about their level of understanding.  And guess what?  The students are almost always accurate!!  They pretty much "hit the nail on the head" when they take this type of ownership in their learning. 

Once everyone has placed their ticket on the stop light, I take a moment or two (usually during their specials, recess, lunch, or after school)  to evaluate their tickets.  First, I remove the notes on the green light.  I read over them and decide if I agree with them.  I place the tickets that demonstrate accuracy on the topic in one pile and those that may need some reteaching in another pile.  I continue down the stop light until I have evaluated each "ticket".  Now this may seem like it takes a long time, but it is actually very quick and gives me a good idea of who's got it and who needs more assistance.

I hope this helps some of you with another type of formative assessment.  Let me know what you think!  I will continue to add more posts on different types of exit tickets.

                                                                                   












12 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining my linky! I love connecting with new friends. I also use exit passes on Fridays.
    Teresa
    Confessions of a Teaching Junkie
    Find me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Angie! I also love how you shared about the name of your blog. My blog's name sums me up too! =)

    I am happy to have found your blog and now be a follower!

    I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Keep posting great ideas! Miss those boys of yours! Hope they are well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angie - Such a cute idea! So glad I found you. I currently teach first but have taught first and second too. Your blog name is too cute. I'm your newest follower. Come on by and visit me sometime when you can. :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angie! I love your idea for "stop light" exit tickets! I'm a third grade teacher as well and a new follower! I have a blog too that is still pretty new if you want to visit some time!

    Jackie

    Third Grade's A Charm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a first year teacher and love this idea. When you get to the yellow and red lights and notice that you have some tickets in there, do you address those areas to the entire class the next day or to the students that still aren't grasping the concept?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw this idea on pinterest and I love it. I already use exit tickets and I use a student self reflection piece but I never thought to combine the two. Thanks for sharing.

    I'm new to blogging and I'm looking for more blogs to follow, so I will be following your blog.

    I taught third grade for five years and I loved it, but I'm now teaching fifth. I can be found at Teacherofscholars.blogspot.com.

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog through Pinterest. I'm a North Carolina blogger as well. Join me over at www.fieldofpoppies.blogspot.com. I taught third grade for many years and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's where the aurawave and its powerfulness as a TENS annoyance relief, and how does it work on? The galvanising pulses also force line to the atrocious region and addition circulation, which helps the convalescence action if the painful sensation signals beingness sent to the skin through and through electrodes.

    My weblog: aurawavereview.com
    my web page > official website

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sticky Notes is currently not available to you Sticky Notes is at display not open to you – What to do if Sticky Notes application would reestablish a slip-up like "Check your record, Sticky Notes is starting at now not available to you". The notice showing check your record suggested somethings else. Here you need to take after advances irregular with checking our record.

    ReplyDelete