Pages

About Me

About Me

Saturday, February 17, 2024

BOOK CLUB #1 - Sam by Allegra Goodman

It's here!  The first Book Club of 2024.  I am very excited to hear thoughts on our first book SAM.

Before I begin, let me recap the details of the Teacher Chic's Book Club:

1. On the 17th of every month I will share a blog post with my thoughts on the book we read for the month. At the end of the post, I will announce the next month's book. Why the 17th? Well, it's just because it is one of my favorite numbers.

2. We will use the comment section to share our thoughts, opinions, and questions on the book we have read. Check back often to read what others are saying.

3. Rules - Be Honest, Be Respectful, and Have Fun! And... please share this virtual book club with all your book loving friends and family.

4. How will I choose each month's book? To be honest, I'll probably pick something that speaks to me. I will try to pick a variety of genres (thriller, autobiography, historical fiction, rom com, etc.) If I am having trouble deciding, I might take a poll. If you have already read the book, I would still love for you to show up, comment, and join in on the conversation.

5. These blog posts will contain spoilers - so be prepared if you haven't finished (or even started) the book.

6. I will use a 5 star rating. ⭐ I am very picky when giving 5 stars. If I give a book four stars, it means I really liked the book and highly recommend it. Feel free to give your rating in the comments.

So...

Here it goes...

Our book this month was -



SAM by Allegra Goodman

This book was on my TBR list for over a year, so I am so happy I finally took the time to read it!

My book rating was...

⭐⭐⭐

THREE out of FIVE STARS!

That is not a high rating for me because, well, I didn't LOVE this book.  It was enjoyable, and I am glad I read it, but it just wasn't a favorite for me.

First of all, I did not like the writing style.  The way Sam's point of view was captured through a limited third-person lens. Because I have taught English Language Arts for many years now, it felt more like I was reading a Young Adult novel. 

I also thought it was just slow. Nothing about it really made me unable to put it down.  I kept waiting for some exciting events to take place, but I continued to be disappointed in this area.

What did I like though?

I liked the way the author intertwined the subjects of class, parenthood, first love, grief, and education into the coming of age/self-discovery theme of the novel.

This was a simplistic book that dove into complex family and personal issues. Overall, it was a good place to start our year of reading. It was heartfelt, and at times heavy, yet had a powerful story of over-coming the odds.

Now it is your turn.

Have you read this book? What did you think? How do rate it? 

Please share your thought in the comments sections and check back often to see what others say.

It is time now to announce our next BOOK CLUB book. 

Drumroll please...



The Maid by Nita Prose

Here are some reviews:

“A murder mystery with tremendous heart.”—Lisa Jewell

“Excellent and totally entertaining . . . The most interesting (and endearing) main character in a long time.”—Stephen King

These reviews make me excited to read this book. I hope you will join me. Our next BOOK CLUB will be Sunday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day 🍀).

Okay, it's time to head to the comments section and share your thoughts, questions, feelings, and ratings about our February book 🢃

Happy Commenting xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment